I love to listen to talk radio in the morning. Not the regular music stations with the obnoxious morning show playful banter....but real talk radio. The new topic on every station?
The TSA airport safety regulations requiring the full body scan and the "pat down" option.
Good luck trying to guess what my stance is on this subject.
1. If you are someone that seriously travels by airplane that frequently, and are afraid you will develop some horrible medical problem from all the radiation you will receive from the scans....then maybe you should consider a different career. Not only is that such a far fetched possibility, but seriously, with that kind of paranoia, how do you even leave your house? And if the sky is your "work place" that you have to spend that much time at...wouldn't you want it to be the SAFEST place it could possibly be?
IF radiation was so dangerous that daily low doses of radiation could cause horrible illness.....there would be a lot of SICK X-RAY techs. I can use this one because I was one for 10 years. I had to suffer through 3 semesters of radiation physics...and if I learned anything it is that we get more radiation from the microwave/store parking lot than we will ever get from having an x-ray taken. The reason so many people died years ago from radiation? 1. it was years ago 2. the machines were crude contraptions of metal shooting radiation everywhere 3. scientists were still trying to figure out how to make radiation the awesome diagnostic tool is it now.
I work in health care. Because of the threat of blood borne/bodily fluid "terrorists" I have to wear gloves for most everything. Sure it is a hassle and it's a total drag having to put a pair of gloves on just to apply a bandaid. BUT it keeps me safe, and other people safe, so I do it. EVERYDAY. ALL DAY.
Thought #2
For those that think the body scans are too intimate/infringe on your right to privacy/ is too invasive.
Think about the poor TSA workers that have to look at our sorry selves ALL DAY LONG, and stop flattering yourself. If I could be so lucky as to have someone want to put my sexy self all over the monitors in the breakroom for viewing pleasure.
Thought #3
For those that think the body pat down is too intimate/infringes on your rights/is too invasive.
Again think about the poor TSA workers that have to do this to earn their paycheck. YUCK. Have you seen what people wear out in public these days? People are dirty, lumpy, with food all down their front, wearing pajama bottoms and slippers to appointments. GROSS. Don't even get me started on the grooming and hygiene habits of society. I'm thinking I should write them a check as a thank you for being willing to touch me.
As far as inappropriate touching by TSA workers. Probably will happen. But can you even imagine the bazillion times a day they are going to hear the uncomfortable sarcasm from passengers, with lines such as "ooohh thank you" or "oh my, we didn't even have dinner first" or "I haven't been touched like that in years" PUH-LEEZ!
I heard the head of TSA this morning on the news telling members of government "Do I hear that you are questioning the news rules and guidelines? Yes. Am I going to change them? NO."
Can I get an Amen?
The ideas I have been hearing on the radio/t.v. as solutions (profiling people, closing borders) are just insane. Talk about infringing on people's rights. The threat of terrorism is real. A bomb on an airplane can kill, plain and simple, and terrorism is not going to stop just because we wish it would. It's time to get over "my rights as an American" and start thinking about what is right for everyone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

As someone who wants to live, I agree with you, Sarah! I think that it is funny that people are complaining about the measures being taken in order to save their lives. I understand that it is uncomfortable and maybe a little or a lot embarrassing, but it has to be done and if they don't like it (or can't tolerate it), don't fly!
ReplyDeleteKrystal