Friday, December 30, 2011

Martens Christmas Vacation

This has been the fastest vacation ever. Andy and I had 6 days off together and I only have 3 more to go......I swear if this had been a regular work week it would only be Tuesday. Just want to recap our time off for the record books.

After tomorrow, we will have attended SIX Christmas celebrations, the first one on Friday the 23rd and the last one being tomorrow. I always have to remind people that we aren't even products of divorce! Andy and I are blessed to have our grandparents still alive and able to attend Christmas celebrations, not to mention our own parents each hosting day long events. On Christmas day we traveled to Oregon to spend time with my grandmothers and extended family. We are also lucky to have all of Andy's dad's side of the family close by and enjoy getting together around the holidays. The other night I tallied it up and we had purchased 182 gifts.....for family, friends, and people we don't know........no wonder this year I felt a some relief when there was nothing left to buy or wrap. It is also a good thing that all these Christmas celebrations were spread out over several days....easier to organize and take inventory of what needs to be done and what just is not going to get done.

After Christmas weekend, we had to switch gears to plan a birthday party for a very important six year old. Kate decided to give the new water park at the Sleep Inn in Liberty a try for her party venue. Having a party that close to Christmas is always "iffy" when it comes to inviting friends....people are either out of town or thrilled to have something to do. Luckily, Kate chose three of her closest friends and they were all available to par-tay! We are so thankful that our family is willing to help Kate celebrate a holiday-time birthday by making her feel very loved and special. I hope we can continue that magic even when she gets older......

Wednesday of this week was my parents 45th wedding anniversary. I probably should have planned some big swarray, but instead chose to give them a gift they can enjoy for years. I gave them "free labor" from my husband as he tiled a beautiful back splash in their kitchen. He worked for two LONG days making a bagillion detailed cuts around outlets, under cabinet lights, and randomly placed decorative tile.....all without grumbling. I am so thankful he has that skill and was willing to use two of his vacation days to make my parents kitchen b-e-a-utiful. Thank you Andy! Technically, I gave up two vacation days too, as the girls and I hung out at my parents house "supervising" and acting as his gophers for anything he needed.

Today was "get this house picked up or I will lose my mind" day.
Happy to report the laundry is done and put away, the dish washer is empty, the house is picked up, and all three girls have put away their Christmas loot and "organized" their rooms.

Did I mention that we STILL HAVE ANOTHER CHRISTMAS TOMORROW!?
I think Monday is going to be another "get this house picked up or I will lose my mind" kind of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment