The Martens girls woke up with an uppity attitude on Saturday morning. Andy was working OT at the fire station and I was thinking about treating ourselves to a movie. After doing the obligatory errands we started to discuss the plan for the day as we had several new options/opportunities to talk about. Instead of being excited (thankful) at all the great possibilities, the girls became whiney, selfish and downright ugly about what they would and wouldn't do.
We had a "come to Jesus" moment, I did some deep breathing, and I told the girls about a change of plans. I decided to head to Watkins Mill State Park for an attitude adjustment from Mother Nature. (She's much nicer than Mother Sarah)
Picnic Lunch....we were barely there 5 minutes and we were already being nicer to each other, laughing, smiling.......
exploring a dried out creek bed
bike riding(she made it about a 1/4 of the way around the 3.55 mile path, then we ditched the bike and she walked the rest of it)
Journaling about things to be thankful for. Jane drew hers
After making it a little over halfway, some friends showed up and brought new energy to tired legs!
I also had a scavenger hunt ready for the girls. The list of items included: something red, a bathroom, 4 sticks under 4 inches long, a nut, a berry, a dead animal, a spiderweb, the letter of their first name on a sign, and they had to say "Hello or Hi or Good Afternoon" to every person/group we met on the trail.
Everyone's list was checked off by the end of the trail, and I even heard a "this was the best day ever" from the back seat.






What a fun day you must have had! What a great mom for thinking up such fun things to do!!!!
ReplyDelete