I just remembered a funny conversation Tess and I had on Friday after school. Something I have always done with her, and now I'm doing with Kate, is ask them to tell me 3 things they did that day. I have found that it inspires more conversation that just the closed-ended question of "Did you have a good day at school?" This is even how my teenage "daughters" across the street....that's a story for a whole separate post.....tell me about their day.
Last Friday was Student Council Elections at Hawthorne Elementary School. I had seen a few "vote for ____" campaign things in Tess's school bag throughout the week, but didn't realize the importance of the election to all the grades, even 2nd graders!
So I asked her who had won, and she named off the names of kids I didn't know...but then followed up with her commentary on how and why a particular person won. The best was that Spencer Stewart won the presidency because "he had the coolest posters, and got all the boys to vote for him........they didn't even listen to his speech!" When I asked what she remembered from his campaign speech she said "that he was honest, and trustworthy, and respectful....blah blah blah....everybody said those things."
Democracy at its best. The person with the coolest stuff, wins.
Have a great week!
Sarah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment