Kate has 4 days of Pre-Kindergarten summer school left to go. She has been a trooper, getting up early every morning and going to school while the rest of the family (excluding me) stays home and has fun.
At least that is what she is assuming everyone else is doing....having TONS of fun without her.
Every day she comes home with art work and some stories about her experiences. One evening she let us know that two bad things and one good thing had happened to her that day. The two bad things involved her getting "in trouble" for doing something she didn't know was against the rules. I'm pretty sure she was kindly advised by her teachers, but in her heart, she had gotten in trouble.
Because I know you are dying to know what she did, I will gladly share. The first thing happened when she was the star student for the day and in charge of leading the line of classmates to and from places. She thought the teacher had told her to go ahead and lead everyone out of the gym but she had not, and Kate perceived that as being in trouble. The second incident was she picked up some wood chips on the playground to use as pretend candy for their imaginary candy store, and she got told that picking up wood chips is against the rules! According to her, she cried because she was so embarrassed! Rough day, and to hear her replay the story for us was heart breaking.
Kate HATES to be embarrassed.....even more so than the average bear.
Anyway, I am now finally getting around to the title of this post. I turned around in the car this morning to make sure Kate was buckled up, and I see silent tears streaming from her beautiful blue eyes. She didn't want to go to school today. "It's too long of a day for me, mom!" she cried when I asked what was wrong.
I had been waiting for this to happen, and would have placed a bet that it would happen sooner than it did. Kate is not used to being somewhere every day, all day. And while I am so very thankful that my kids do not have to go to all day childcare every day, it sure would have prepared Kate for these long school days.
Once she got the tears out, blew her nose, I reassured her that if she could just start the day at school the teacher would call us if she simply could not make it the rest of the day. I explained that the office had every phone number possible to contact us, even grandma and grandpa's! She reluctantly agreed to go, but only after I let her in on the secret that she gets to pick where we eat out on the last night of summer school. I told her she could pick anywhere she wants.
Except Chucky Cheese.
Which made her laugh before she got out of the car and walked down the long side walk towards the school.
My middle blessing is growing up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment