Monday, July 5, 2010

The Verdict

Well, it turns out this blogger has a crappy back. A real crapper of a back. Pooh for a back. My back isn't worth #@*^!!
Crap.
I went for the MRI last Tuesday. By Thursday I found out that the two bulging discs from 2008 had herniated with some small tears. Lovely. Now for the good news. The amazing news. The news that reminds me I am a blessed individual that can, and does, have a reason to be JOYful.

First, I must give a LARGE thank you to my bff Tricia who happens to work for a neurosurgeon. I too use to work for this brilliant physician, and am so glad I have maintained a friendship with him. Not only did Tricia get him to look at my films/report "after hours" but I also received a very caring phone consult/exam on Thursday evening. It turns out that I have 2 discs that have herniated out of their assigned areas and are pushing on the nerve root(s) in my low back. Because this is a nerve root problem, and not simply a low back pain problem, he feels it will be easier to address, both now and in the future. He describes how seeing a disc press on a nerve root is an easier problem to help than if someone has low back pain without a definitive cause. I will be eligible for a surgery if I need one in the future, and it should/could be a fairly straightforward procedure of cleaning up the disc so that it stops putting pressure on the nerves.

Now for the good news......My pain level and ability to move have improved significantly since last week. Every day I feel a little more like my "old" self.....no pun intended. For a while I wondered if I would ever get my normal walking gait back, be able to sit on the floor, dance with my girls..... It's awful how much a hurting back affects. Anyway, the good doctor thinks that if I continue with my daily Aleve doses, enjoy a "rest" when my back is feeling tired, and start being smart with my body mechanics, that I could avoid needing a surgery any time soon, and possibly even avoid a pain management consult. See what I mean? JOY JOY JOY

As I write this, I am sitting in a kitchen chair, on a pillow, supported by a pillow behind my back......but the good news is that I have been able to pick up the house(after a holiday weekend it was trashed) start a load of laundry, play with the girls, and buzz around on the computer without a even a grimace.
Oh wait, I did look at our bank account balance. That did make me wince just a bit.........
The Mayor is on the mend!!!!
Let's ALL shout for JOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment