Sometimes I forget that my dad is a veteran. His military service happened before I was born, during the Vietnam Conflict. He was stationed in Thailand and when he enlisted, he had the choice of flying helicopters or loading bombs. Helicopters were getting shot down too frequently, so he chose bombs. I am SO thankful for that. Because he was 25(!) years old he was called "grandpa" by his comrades. The old guy in the group..... says a lot about the kids that were fighting for our country, doesn't it?! This picture is from the 2009 Holt County Fall Festival in Oregon, MO, where my parents grew up and my grandparents still live. They honored military service men and women that were in the crowd during the parade. My dad is standing fourth person from the right in the picture and my girls are in the left corner clapping for their grandpa. I am smiling with pride and awe that my dad is among those cool people.

No comments:
Post a Comment