Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pit and Peak

(I stole the idea of Pit and Peak from the finale of a Kardashian episode that my girl Bailey made me watch. So if I get sued, it is Bailey's fault. I would never just watch a Kardashian show on my own accord. Nope. Never.)

The PIT of today was when a parent tried to bully me by demanding services. He didn't get what he wanted and thought it was okay to belittle me. Unfortunatly I engaged in the arguement, because he is just a horrible person, and ultimately the guy probably DID get what he wanted......a rise out of me. It took a while for my heart rate to slow down, and I told the switch board to transfer all calls from this man directly to my supervisor. I am done with him. The office of Mahmood and Martens is done with him.

The PEAK was at the end of the day when one of my Fav-o-rite clients had an appointment. I'll call him Carl and he is a 20 something developmentally disabled male. As soon as the doctor calls his name to come back for his appointment he runs straight into my office first for a hug. Carl doesn't have words, but he has facial expressions and "sounds" that I am learning to understand. Today he brought along his mother, dad usually brings him, and he wanted to introduce us. Lovely to meet her and honored that he thought I should. After his appointment he runs from the the doctor's office, back to my office, for his piece of fruit. (I give out fruit to the kids, and any adults that want some. For many it is the only fruit they will get for a long time. Produce is expensive and many can't afford to add it to their grocery bill. Sadly, many don't choose to.) Anyway, Carl always picks a banana and a sticker. Today he showed me his tattoos. I covered my eyes while he lifted up his sleeves and shouted his version of Surprise! to show me his arms covered in tattoos. I told him he look waaay tough. He then picked out his sticker for the day, today he chose Optimus Prime. His dad said "Wow! Cool Carl! Optimus Prime! We love Transformers don't we?"
Did I mention that Carl's parents are the epitome of what good parenting looks like. They love their son so much it makes their faces glow. They support their son 110% and don't try and make him not be Carl. You can tell that Carl being Carl brings them JOY.
I wish we had a hundred Carls in our clinic......

No comments:

Post a Comment