This week my 10 year old baby girl came home from school excited about a book club her teacher was wanting to start with her and several of her classmates. The first book was to be the new reading/movie craze, The Hunger Games. I quickly scanned my brain for what I knew about this book as I have not had a chance to read the series yet. Our oldest, Samantha, read the series over Christmas break from college and LOVED it, talking about how engrossing the story line was. She also gave me a quick synopsis because as of that time I hadn't heard about the books.
Anyone know where I am going with this? Want to take a wild guess?
After seeing Tess so excited to start this book series, I was hesitant, but told her I would look into finding the books....silly girl thought she could just go to the library and say "Hi, I want to read The Hunger Games, please" and walk away with the books.
Nope. The library's website even says that due to high demand they are ordering more copies.
Anyway, that morning I went to work and googled the book. I also texted Samantha for her opinion. Even sent Tess's teacher an email with my concerns, hoping to hear back. I have not.
Needless to say, I made a gut decision to say NO to reading the book.
My research from online and friends revealed that while this book receives GREAT reviews it is labeled in the Young Adult genre for a reason.
There storyline is of self preservation, fighting, and eventually killing other humans to "win" the game and stay alive. The are also many "morally complex choices the characters must make that fall into the gray area of right and wrong"...all to promote their own survival....as well as "the ambiguity of violence" in order to save herself and her family. I got those descriptions from Wikipedia, by the way. Not to mention a twisted love story between the two main characters.
I described it to the teacher and to my husband as "some pretty heavy themes that need to be processed with an adult so they are understood and not just glossed over". Wikipedia sounds better, I know.
There is no doubt that Tess could read the book. Supposedly she reads at a 12th grade level(whatever that means) but that does NOT mean she thinks like a 12th grader. Thank the Lord.
What really irritates me is that I have not heard one word from her teacher. No heads up email to the parents. No permission email/note. No thoughts on how these kids are going to acquire this $40 book series. Not even an email telling me that she did NOT suggest a book club, and it might be her and her classmates wanting to read a book and using the teacher as the sponsor. That is actually what I am hoping for. Meanwhile, I am left with the crying kid who doesn't understand how I can be so wrong in my decisions, even though I saw the surprise in her face when I shared with her the actual description of what the book was about. She knew the basics, but not all the sub-plots.
I guess I am ultimately hoping my daughter is deceiving me so she can read a book. Can't decide if I should be (superficially) proud that she wants to do something educational so badly she will lie to do it, or if I should be upset that she is lying in the first place, IF she is even lying.
Talk about a complex morality issue.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

One complex issue of many, many to come. Welcome to ANOTHER event in the life of Parenthood......you will make the right choice for Tess. You always do. Trust your gut!
ReplyDelete