Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lent

If you read my blog on Monday, you know that I was struggling with finding the "right" thing to focus my 40 days of Lent on.

I thought about or was suggested the following ideas:
-give up being snarky/sarcasm---impossible
-give up shopping--would love to, but groceries need to be purchased and I have tried to limit this anyway since we are in housing limbo right now, so not a true sacrifice
-give up curse words--good idea. I would love to never say one again, EVER. However, what happens when I do? Put money in a swear jar? Sadly, I don't censor myself well and they do slip out. Not my most favorite thing to admit to. Sorry, mom.
-give up sweets--again, good idea. I am a sugar whore. However possible, or impossible, it may be to give up sweets, I still find myself coming back to the same question.
HOW DOES THIS BRING ME CLOSER TO GOD?

I really don't think God cares if I eat sweets or go shopping. (I do acknowledge that He hates that I swear and am sarcastic. I am a work in progress, people, not perfect)
What God does care about and want is a connection with me. And it has always been MY theory(not necessarily the right theory or anyone else's theory) that what I choose to focus on for the next 40 days should be beneficial to my relationship with God. It should be something that after the 40 days I feel compelled to continue because it has made me closer to God and therefore closer to being a better human.
I can guarantee with 100% accuracy that my copious amounts of sweets consumption and borderline impulsive shopping habits would resume on the 41st day.
This year is the first year I am really fretting about this. Don't really know why, but I hope it is because I am growing spiritually and making my faith a priority for the first time in my life.
For the next 40 days I am going to spend time daily reading God's word, learning about the life of Jesus before He died on the cross for me, and hopefully learn to be more like Him and less like me.....
I feel pretty confident that He does care about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment