Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Add My Name to the Millions

The thingy in my ear turned out to be a basal cell carcinoma....fancy words for skin cancer.
I will have a simple(I hope!) surgery next Thursday morning to have it removed. The procedure is called Mohs surgery. It allows the surgeon to remove the tissue, examine it under a microscope to make sure he took enough, and also know that the cancer is gone, before I ever even leave his office. It also keeps the surgeon from taking too much tissue....for which I am thankful as I have smallish ears and a short hair style! :)

No real recovery time, just a big awkward bandage and a sore ear for a while. I'm going to take the next day off from work simply because I'm worth it!!
While I know that this is a simple, easily treateable, low ranking on the severity scale, type of cancer, I can't help but feel bummed........and a little freaked out.

Skin cancer is for old people. (sorry for the blatant sterotype) Not 35 year olds! I've been a sunscreen freak since having children, can't remember the last time I had a bad sunburn(I've never blistered), and haven't used a tanning bed since our early married life....easily 10+ years. I'm figuring the damage was done many, many moons ago.

So while I try and wrap my mind around this diagnosis, I have come to the real gut-punch about being told I have cancer. It makes me one of the millions. And it is especially disappointing to know that my body has the ability......the audacity..... to create cancerous cells.
It leaves the open ended question of........Now that my cells know how to be naughty, will they like it and do it again some where else?

God is good. All the time. God is good.

The Mayor is fine...so don't worry that I'm spiraling into a huge funk. I'm just taking my allowed funkalicious time to be slightly worried, a little pissed, and a whole lot grateful that I have a simple cure.

2 comments:

  1. Your feelings are so real. Thanks for sharing that.

    Prayers will be with you!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete