Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hello my name is Sarah and I am an addict.

I can't stop watching the Olympics! This will be the second week of unwatched shows saved on the DVR, we have two movies from Netflix to watch, I'm having to negotiate bedtime every night with Tess so she can see different events, and technically I'm supposed to be working on my Bible study lesson for tomorrow night. But what am I doing instead? Watching a crappy cable feed that is cutting in and out and making the picture all garbled up like I'm somewhere on a deserted island with a pair of rabbit ears for antenna. I can't miss the short program for women's figure skating!

Tonight there was an excellent teaching/learning opportunity during figure skating. As a young skater from Australia saw her score she screamed in excitement to see that she had posted her best ever numbers. Was it enough to win a medal? Not by a long shot. But it was something to spark conversation with Tess about how even though she came to the Olympics with no chance to win, she was able to have this personal victory.

I also have a confession to make that is a new character flaw for me.....I have such sympathy and sadness for all the skiers and snowboarders that are wiping out on the mountain sides. I also have to admit that it is the possibility of them biting it on the slopes that makes me want to watch. shameful, I know. But here is the weird twist for me. I have no tolerence for the figure skaters falling! This is the Olympics for goodness sakes! Suck it up and stick a landing!

My favorite part of the Olympics is, without a doubt, Mary Carillo, the witty and charismatic NBC correspondent with the silky smooth man voice. She usually visits with Bob Costas during prime time and does a piece on something interesting about an athelete or Canada. If you are a night owl, she also hosts the late night show that recaps the events of the day. It doesn't usually come on until 11p or after, and listening to her talk is like having a glass of wine before bed without the calories. Mary, you put the oooh in smooth.

Every night at 7pm it is automatic that we turn the television on to NBC. No one even dares to request alternate programming suggestions. The Olympics are on and we watch the Olympics....even when it's Ice Dancing.....although that's kind of embarassing to admit.
Although admitting there is a problem is the first step to recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment