Call me a nerd, but I think about this A LOT.
My senior year of nursing school at William Jewell was the catalyst. We had to create a Legacy Project that matched an component of nursing with the world around us. My project was to get an AED installed in our church. Not exactly a life long dream of mine, but it got me the "A" I wanted, and did a good thing for my church family.
Fast forward to 2010. This idea of leaving a legacy for not just my family, but for people I have yet to meet, or may never(!) meet, is something I want to work on every day. Pastor Fred asked us "What will people say about you when you are gone?" Meaning......How will people describe your contribution to making this world a better place?"
It's stuff like this that keeps me awake at night!
-I want to be a living example of compassion for all of God's children....no matter what....God doesn't make mistakes.
-I want to be an example of servant leadership. Giving of my time in diverse areas of need, in my church, my community, and my world.
-I want my girls to grow up knowing that it is the little things that can be a BIG deal.
-I want my girls to grow up thinking they have some big shoes to fill to follow in my footsteps :)
This prayer from church on Sunday was just waaaaayyyy toooooo gooood to not pass along.
"Gracious God, our lives are a gift from you alone. What we make of our lives is our only way of returning thanks to you. Help us to measure our success, not by how much we take from life, but by how much of ourselves we give back. Teach us today that it's not the duration, but the donation of our lives that determines the legacy we leave behind."
Amen.
What kind of legacy are you workin' on?

Amen and amen, sister!
ReplyDelete