Ah yes, now I remember why I don't like to have Tess's friends over.....especially overnight.
Because I spend most of my time trying to explain to Kate why she can't hang out with the bigger girls and needs to let them have time alone. Some samples of conversation between Kate and I tonight.
"Kate, you need to come upstairs now"
instant lip quiver and silent tears roll down her face. "But mom, I want to be down here too!"
"Kate, the girls want to be alone"
"No they don't mom! I like her(Tess's friend) too, she's my friend too!"
"Come on Kate, let's go upstairs and you can sleep in bed with me"
big tears and sobbing starts "but mooooom, I can be big like them! Who can I play with? I never get to have friends over.....please mom, give me a chance!"
ouch.
that last one went straight to my heart.
Kate is such a cool kid. Most of the time she is waaaay cooler and less spazy than the friend that is staying over. I just don't want Tess to be known as the girl who always has a little sister tagging along when friends come over. I would love any suggestions from people with sibling overnighter experience. Sadly it will probably be a few years before any of Kate's friends are old enough to spend the night, even though I think Kate would probably be fine sleeping away from home now. I wish I could engage the grandparents into taking her home with them so she got a special night too. hmmmm, something to think about for the future.
Now it's 11:00pm, the drama is over, and Kate is upstairs with me. She wasn't happy about it, but like a true champ she sucked it up and did what she was asked. I love her for that. She may not be happy with the results, but she doesn't hold a grudge. Currently she is laying in the middle of my bed watching Discovery Kidz.....and she just told me that she would like to have the whole bed to herself. "Mom could you sleep in Tess's bed tonight?" she asks with her big blue eyes and cheeks still wet from her tears. Nice job working the mom guilt.
I told you she was cool........ and smart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Next time call me--Kate can spend the night with Kaylin!
ReplyDeleteWe run into the same problem on a regular basis. I don't know how to solve it. Half the time Kaylin ends up sleeping downstairs with Macy and her friends too. But they are closer in age than Kate and Tess are...