I am watching the Today show right now and they just finished a segment about the top baby names of the year and decade.
Surprise-Surprise.......my kids' names did NOT make the list.
HOORAY!
I know at least one kid/adult to correlate with each of the top 10 names for both boy and girl.
It is such a big deal to name a person. We wanted names that were unique but not weird or flaky sounding. It was never the plan to carry on a family name to our child, we just didn't have anybody with a cool enough name. haha (although I know there is at least one Kate on each side of our family tree) If you haven't heard by now here are some of the naming secrets behind our beautiful babies names.
Brogan Tess-I don't really know, Brogan just sounded uber-cool with the name Tess....I got the name Tess from a book I was reading on a camping trip to Bennett Springs after we first got married. I even told Andy, " I want to name a girl Tess someday" We always knew that Tess would be the name she would use, even though it isn't her first name.
Kate Sinclaire-It was Andy's turn to name a kid. He had a crush on a girl name Katie in high school (younger sister of a classmate) and wanted to use that name. I agreed to Kate...not ever to be Katie, although people make the mistake and call her that all the time. Makes me cringe. After she was born, and still to this day, people ask "just Kate?" when asking her full first name. Yep, just Kate. I swear that will be the name of her autobiography someday, because she is anything but "just Kate" she is SO much more. Sinclaire was a beautiful middle name I just happened to find in a baby book. No meaning other than it sounded like music to our ears.
Jane Gracen-My turn again. It gets hard to find one syllable girl names that don't go against our rule of not sounding weird or flaky. I had seen the name Jane a lot while I was pregnant and it just clicked. Gracen came from the song "Your Grace is Enough" that we sing during the praise service on Sundays. Our lives have been filled, to the point of overflowing, with God's Grace and it just seemed that this third pregnancy felt like the ultimate gift. We know several kids named Grayson, but wanted the "grace" in Gracen to stay true, so just added the -en- and Voila! Our baby was named. The funny story behind Jane's middle name was the evening Andy and I tried to decide on a middle name--he came up with Elaine--but it sounded hilarious with Jane. Go ahead, say it out loud a couple times! Jane Elaine, Jane Elaine!
HOWEVER, after making you suffer through that obnoxiously long post about the name game Andy and I played through the last 8 years, here is the #1 reason I give when people ask why we chose one syllable names for all three kids.
IT'S EASY TO YELL!
TESS!
KATE!
JANE!
see, no problems shouting that at the top of my lungs anywhere.....anytime....for any reason.
When asked the #1 thing that parents should take into consideration when naming their child, what did the Today show expert suggest?
"Go to the back door and practice yelling the name! It if sounds good being shouted...you know you've picked a good name."
I'm just reporting what the expert said.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment