Monday, April 30, 2012

Home Alone

Several weeks ago, we needed to leave the girls home alone for a couple of hours. Jane was going to be at preschool, the girls were off from school, I was at work, and Andy had a meeting at the fire station. We had spent a greater part of the week prepping Tess and Kate for staying home alone, complete with making sure my mother would be home if she was needed. Kate was fine with the idea. Tess was not. My worrier. My control freak. My mini-me. She spent most of the week thinking about everything that could go wrong and even cried because she didn't feel "ready" for this big responsibility. Granted we had never left them alone for more than 20minutes and we were asking them to stay home alone for over an hour.
The morning of the big day, I placed a secret call to my mom, asking her to casually call the girls or stop by the house to check on them, even telling her she could be "the hero" rescuing them from danger.
About an hour into their alone time I called Tess to check in. The phone was answered by a crazed, shouting, giggling voice that sounded vaguly like my eldest daughter Tess. Kate kept shouting Hi Mom over and over in the background. They tell me that they have already eaten a bunch of Easter candy and drank some Dr Pepper before making a complete list of everything they wanted to do.
When I got home, this is the list I found.....
--Jump on the couch
--Eat candy and drink pop
--Have a pillow fight
--Turn music up really loud
--Slide in sleeping bags down the stairs
--Yell random things really loud

My mom stopped by to save the day and said she was practically pushed back out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment